Monday, November 26, 2007

EARTHQUAKE!!!

Breaking News....I was about 75% asleep, and a pretty big earthquake just hit of the coast of Japan, about 100 miles away. It was 6.2 on the Richter scale, pretty darn big. That's a 4 on the Japan scale. From what I can figure out, that felt like a 2 here in Utsunomiya. I could hear it, which I didn't expect. Just a low, groaning noise. Messes with a half awake mind. I have a feeling if I was standing or sitting or doing anything but trying to fall asleep, I might not have felt it at all. As it is, I had to check with the authorities before I posted this, in case I dreamed it.

From the USGS: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/quakes_big.php

And from Japan's equivalent: http://www.jma.go.jp/en/quake/

I'm going to try to go back to sleep, but I can't stop thinking about what I'm supposed to do if a bigger one hits. I'm on the 5th floor. I guess if I hear screaming I'll run towards it, assuming it's people who are trying to get my attention.

Anyway, everything's fine here, nothing fell down, I still have all my plates and liquor on the high shelf is still in it's bottles.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The ground moved? The GROUND MOVED?! You've got to be kidding. I don't know if I'd be able to handle it. I guess it helps if you're half asleep (pardon me, %75 asleep) and don't know what's going on. Be careful, Danny boy.

And for your information, some of us don't want you to come back skinny. Skinny boys just aren't as much fun . . . Eat up! ;-)

Rachel

Anonymous said...

The ground moved? That's what she said...