Sunday, October 28, 2007

Got here fine

After a week in San Francisco, I finally got here to Utsunomiya safely, if anyone was wondering. We got to the hotel around 8:30 last night, then the current OAPs took us out to dinner, then the local Irish pub, and finally Utsunomiya's version of a dance club. They got us pretty drunk and managed to keep us up until 2 AM local time, which is 1 PM the day before in Cleveland. It seems to have really helped with the jet lag, so if anyone comes to visit, I'll get you good and trashed right away.


Today, one of the current OAP guys took us for a tour of Utsunomiya. I've been here before, but it was a different perspective than I've had in the past. For instance, I was very interested when he pointed out the grocery store.


Here's my week in San Francisco in a nutshell:


  • Watched the last 5 innings of 2007 Indians baseball in a predominantly Red Sox bar.

  • Toured the "Winchester Mystery House" (look it up if you don't know what I'm talking about)

  • Went to a bar to watch Monday night football, teamed up with the guy next to me and came in 2nd in a trivia contest. But everyone around us thought it was fixed, so I think I won.

  • Toured Alcatraz, and did it as touristy as possible.

  • Stayed in a really cool hotel in Japan Town.

  • Had 2 days of cultural training that amounted to sitting in a room with the other 2 guys BS'ing, mostly about Japan.

  • Walked all over the city and saw most of the sights (China Town, Fisherman's Wharf, Lombard Street, Golden Gate Bridge, etc.)


Tomorrow I go to work for the first time. Nobody is really sure what we do tomorrow, but I think it's mostly getting set up with living arrangements. I'll let you know when I find out.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dan! I'm glad you got into Utsunomia ok. Right about now you're probably geting ready for your first day of work. Good luck! We'll be sending a bunch of people to HGT in the next two months, so you'll have company very soon. Take care!! :)
--Liane

Your Mom said...

I'm totally convinced that a MOM invented the web-cam. Thanks for hooking me up. You know I have to see you from time to time to make sure you're ok. Be safe!
Love ya~ Mom xo

Mom said...

Happy Halloween Dan! The aparment looks great...much better than I had imagined. Not sure about that car though. Does it come with a Hans device or something???
Love ya...Mom xo

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.