Thursday, July 31, 2008

Sapporo Day 3 - Hungover at the Beer Museum

When I finally dragged myself out of bed Monday I headed to the last place on my itinerary, the Sapporo Beer Museum. I didn't really want to go. The highlight of the place is the beer tasting, and that was about the last thing I wanted to do. But since it was on the itinerary, I had to do it.

Got to the museum around 11 or so. Too early to start drinking (on a Monday) so I decided to tour the museum first.
The building looks impressive (it should, it's a former brewery), but the museum only takes up a tiny bit of it. Other than the gift shop and the "Museum Bar", there's only one room of museum. I took about 20 minutes looking around and I learned that beer is made by elves during the off season.They were on the cutting edge of museum technology. Besides the island of misfit brewers, they used the magic of Viewmasters to teach you about beer.I finally felt up to it so I headed for the Museum Bar. They have the cheapest beer in Sapporo. 100 yen for a small, or 400 yen for the 3-pack sampler with a snack. No surprises, I'd had them all before, but it was on the itinerary. I forced my way through about half of each before I had to give up.After a nice long trip to the gift shop, I headed outside to look for the beer garden to eat lunch. Before I found it, though, I noticed that the Sapporo factory is dedicated to the dark lord Satan.
I found an okonomiyaki place in the mall next door and ate lunch before reversing the whole subway-train-monorail-shinkansen path back to Utsunomiya.

In case you haven't heard, I'm going to be in Cleveland for the next 2 weeks (8/2 - 8/15), so look for me. You probably know my email, or my parents phone number (where I'm staying like a grown-up), or you can get a hold of me through this.

3 comments:

Bill said...

AAAAAHHHHH!
i just noticed that it you posted at 11:15 pm on thursday. that's 11 hours from now! Appearently the Janpanese have flux capacitors!

Bill said...

i just remembered your back in japan. the browns game is recording, but as of right now, you're not gonna wanna watch it. plus side: Domenik Hixon was a Zip!

Bill said...

you might not want to watch the 3rd preseason game, either...